Friday, April 24, 2009

ANZAC Day

We made a vast batch of ANZAC biscuits yesterday, pre-empted by kindy who made them on Wednesday and Boo loved them.

This evening on TV was information regarding dawn service times and parking. Boo's ears pricked up at the mention of the word ANZAC, and as she watched intently she wanted to know why they were talking about ANZACs but she didn't see any biscuits???

How do you explain to a 3 year old the meaning of ANZAC day?

I tried my very best to explain in ways she could comprehend. The difficulties compounded by the fact that she has no understanding of the words war or soldiers, no concept of time (a long time ago being when she was a baby, or maybe when I was a little girl).

There is no ability to understand that Australia might be a very different place if it hadn't been for the men who went off to fight for us, our country, our safety and our lifestyles. In fact this then became a conversation of why the ladies didn't go to war (but that's a whole different conversation).

I have contemplated taking her to an ANZAC service tomorrow but think she's too young, so we will be staying in our warm beds at dawn and missing the later services but I'm sure the discussion will be continued as she was still asking questions at bedtime.

Tomorrow we will remember but it will be in our own way.

6 comments:

Lceel said...

There's a special place in the heart of Americans for Aussies and Kiwis. At least, in mine, anyway. Gallipoli was a terrible battle, in a terrible place, in a terrible war. The ANZAC troops brought honor to themselves and their countries during that time. The question then, as the question now - What price honor?

Alison said...

We have a similar dilemma here. I tried explaining to Miss V that ANZAC day is when we remember people who died in a big fight to protect us. She asked, "Were they drunk?... Then why did they make bad choices?"
Hmmm. We definitely have a bit more learning to do.
Enjoy your bikkies.

Anonymous said...

We have a special ceremony at school and we have books and resources for our 4-5s. It's amazing what they relate to, and it always blows me away. Yum, ANZAC cookies :)

M said...

We had a very quick conversation about it this morning but the kids were more interested in the pancakes. They did seem to already have the gist. One of these days I will walk into the city to watch the parade with them.

MissyBoo said...

Lou - Gallipoli certainly was a horrific war, as I think all wars have been.

Al - Boo thought it was because they were all sick. I guess its based on their concepts of how and why people die...

Rhubarb - Sending some 'virtual' cookies your way :)

M - I think as a kid (and a younger adult) I would have been more interested in the pancakes too!

jeanie said...

'Salina hates any story that has death in it, but wanted to go to the dawn service because a friend of hers was marching in school uniform in it.

I said no, not out of non-patriotism but sheer tiredness!