Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What else can I do?

I have been so overwhelmed with despair, and grief for those of our neighbours some 3000 odd kilometres away, those who have lost loved ones, homes, treasured possessions, livelihoods in the Victorian fires.

Thinking of anyone trapped in a firestorm of such ferocious magnitude (or as h&b called it a 'tsunami of fire') sickens me, to think of children trapped and perishing turns me to a blubbering mess. I can only imagine that for those of you with closer ties to Victoria and/or people living in the affected areas these feelings are way more intense.

How does someone recover and come back from this amount of tragedy and devastation? I cannot even begin to imagine what any of these people have been through.

I cannot help to feel sad that forever associated with my 40th birthday, is Black Saturday, I now have some empathy for my brother who shares his birthdate with 9/11.

I hate turning on the television and seeing the destruction. I hate having to dumb down the events for my 3 year old to comprehend. It is an unavoidable subject in the media and in conversation, she doesn't miss a thing. Thankfully the television station has been quickly skipped by and all she has needed to comprehend is that there was a big fire and lots of houses burnt down.

I have donated money, Boo and I have a pile of clothes and toys to donate tomorrow to either the Salvos or one of the transport companies trucking donations east, I will be shopping in Coles on Friday, and if I was able to give blood I would.

I just feel that I want to do more... there is nothing more I can really do except keep these people in my thoughts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reading everyone's blogs on the fires and it is the same story of utter shock, despair and a need to do *something* constructive.

(followed a link from another blog)

Iris Flavia said...

And to think the fires were lit on purpose just makes me feel so sick!

Rudd is right calling it "mass murder", so, so sad!

Sorry you will remember that day that way...

Anonymous said...

It's hard when you want to do something but the devastation is so big and it feels wrong to be safe and happy.

We are the same here, clothes and money, it's about all we can do and it feels like it's not enough.

Lin said...

It makes you feel so helpless, and lucky to be safe and it hurts to read those tragic stories.

I donated money to the bushfire appeal and the RSPCA. It won't bring the ones that didn't make it back or undo the trauma and grief that the survivors have suffered/are suffering. But it is of some consolation to know that the money that has been collected so far will at least go quite a long way towards helping the survivors rebuild. But so much can never be replaced.

Lceel said...

I heard on the radio this morning (BBC World Service) that Aussie Police have arrested a 39 year old man, who is in a 'fragile mental state', for setting one of the fires. I also listened to a man being interviewed - an Aussie who now lives in London - who said that it is highly possible, given the protracted heat wave in Australia, that many or most of these fires started naturally.

I would hope that that was the truth of it, and that the one man arrested, if it proves to be that he did set the fire, is the only one who might have done such a terrible thing.

MissyBoo said...

Amanda - Welcome! It's a feeling of doing all the stuff you possibly can, but then feeling you haven't done enough :(

Iris - It is devastating enough that the majority of the fires were acts of nature, it is absolutely horrifying and sickening that arsonists also played a hand.

Tiff - There is the constant feeling of 'Have I done enough? What more can I do?' as I sit safely thousands of kms away.

Lin - I cannot watch or read anymore about the fires at the moment. I am so completely overwhelmed by the tragedy.

I think I will also donate to help with the wildlife rescues and treatments.

Lou - Not only has this low life been arrested for arson, he has also been arrested for pornography. What an absolute low life scum!

You're right, the majority of the fires were acts of nature.