Today, Boo and I have felt a bit rejected. It's not a bad thing, and we tried hard!
Our donation of toys to the child victims of the Victorian bushfires was rejected by three collection stations today. The reason being, they have all been so overwhelmed by donations, the storage locations can house no more, and the freight containers can take no more at this time.
So two large boxes of excellent quality toys now sit in the rear of the car, not unwanted, but unable to get where we wanted them to go. The lesser quality toys have either been binned or redirected to the charity shops down the street.
Even Boo pleading with the man at one of the collection points to take her toys to the poor children in Victoria failed to have results. She now thinks we should go on a plane to Victoria and take them ourselves!
I'm thinking I might put some of them on EBay and then donate the money to the Red Cross Bushfire appeal.
In terms of donating material goods from Perth, there are currently two options. There are 2-3 containers leaving from Settlers Hills Primary School next Saturday (21st February). Rikelle* and her family are organising this and will be at the school until the containers are filled. My guess is it will be done in the first hour or two judging on people's generosity at this time.
The other option is St Vinnies, they are only shipping brand new items. And mobile phone chargers - I didn't even think of that but that is very logical, of course.
* Please email me if you would like Rikelle's phone number for further information on the Settlers Hills collection.
Plots
10 hours ago

6 comments:
Well... I guess its a nice problem for them to have... but still!
Love that Aussies are really digging deep - and that the kids are the ones showing us how it's done!!
Awesome stuff Boo...
:-)
BB
Donating is something good and its a nice problem for you to have... generally kids are the ones showing us how it can be done cool !!
eBay & donating the money is a good idea!
Oh, seesh, I can´t even a bit imagine how those guys must feel over there! To loose everything and to know someone lit the fires on purpose...
I've another option for you - I'll give you a call soon with the details. :)
BB - It is awesome how much people are doing to try and help.
Boo certainly has been showing me how it's done.
Mercy - Kids certainly are amazing in their compassion for those suffering.
Iris - Thankfully we managed to find a way to save time away from eBay!
Guera - Cheers! Plan D was successful :)
Jen - Most of Boo's toys are on there way to Victoria as I type, the rest have been diverted to charity shops in Perth.
I heard also that all Telstra outlets were collecting phone chargers to send down to Victoria.
Post a Comment