Sunday, February 15, 2009

Doing our little bit

After the post of rejection yesterday, Guera provided me with a contact, who provided me with a tip off of how Boo could get her toys to Victoria. The location of the drop off point for the collection stations.

Boo and I arrived to an underground carpark, packed full with boxes and bags of toys. Honestly, there was no room for the several trucks and trailers, that arrived as we did, to unload.

There was about 15 volunteers busily sorting through the boxes. Boo suggested we help, so I found the man in charge and asked what we could do to help. We were pointed to some boxes that needed opening and sorting.

For the next 2-3 hours, in the heat, I sorted through boxes, seperating brand new (or good as new) toys and books for shipping, and the rest for St Vinnies, and the Red Cross. It was about half to Victoria and half to charity shops in Perth.

Boo was one of four or five children (the others were all big kids) working tirelessly carting all the good stuff to the packers.

I had so many comments on her efforts, her manners, and her confidence. She proudly told anyone who spoke to her, "I'm here to help the children of Victoria."

Boo has truly surprised me with her compassion and caring nature in the past week, and her need-and-want-to-do-something attitude.

When the next shift of volunteers arrived, I had to drag Boo away. She wanted to stay and keep working and helping.

I was so proud of my little girl today... well more than I usually am!

5 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Seems like you´re doing a great job as Mum :-)

Anonymous said...

You have every reason to be proud - of your little girl and yourself. What a sweet and unselfish act from both of you. Her maturity is a real testament to the great job you're doing. xoxo

Lceel said...

That's lovely. Just lovely.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

She is gorgeous and keep up the marvellous job...she has a heart of gold.

MissyBoo said...

Iris - Thank you! Though there are days I wonder about my mothering?

Guera - Awww you're too sweet :)

Lou - Lovely it was :)

Trish - 90% of the time she has a heart of gold ;)