If you wish to miss the rant, jump to the end of the post for a giggle
I am thankful that I only work part-time.
I am thankful that Monday was a holiday here and shortened my work week further.
I am thankful that the
I am not thankful for my workload which saw me sneak into my office on a public holiday.
I am not thankful for your ignorance, and your pathetic emails that interrupt me from meeting deadlines.
I am not thankful that you find a way to throw my name in, when it has nothing at all to do with me
I am not thankful for every bit of change, I end up with bruises on my forehead from continuous banging on the desk/wall/other hard surface.
********************
If you are unaware, I work in health care, I implement change.
Do you realise people DO NOT like change? I do. Generally, I wear my thick skin. This week it is wearing thin!
At the beginning of the year,
In Western Australia, we don't have a large issue with MRSA. We will isolate any of you that dare to step inside our hospitals if you have been in a hospital outside WA in the prior 6 months and treat you like a leper to keep it that way. Obviously in terms of using a measure that doesn't show significant improvement from hand hygiene strategies, it is difficult to get acceptance.
You start auditing hand hygiene of health care workers and report on their significant non-compliance (I better not share that information you would be horrified), and people think that this is all new information! The dutiful leader expresses concerns that increased compliance will increase sick time due to dermatitis... WTF???
Give standard hand hygiene a national profile, and its perceived as all being NEW??? For F*%$#'s sake just do hand hygiene before touching a patient, after touching a patient, before leaving a patient's room, before a procedure, and after a potential exposure to body fluids... nothing new at all there!
********************
If you managed to make it down here - I did promise a giggle.
More fun in my job involves follow up phone calls to women following caesarean sections. Mostly they get less than 2 minutes of my time, but there are the odd few that manage a question before I've hung up. Let's call this person SW (single woman)
The questioning began with when she could get more active. After I'd finished my spiel, the conversation went like this -
SW - What about adult activities?
Me - Whenever you feel comfortable and ready.
SW - Nothing inside will tear or anything?
Me - No, just take it slowly and do what's comfortable. If you're not ready or comfortable just tell your husband or partner you were advised to wait longer.
SW - I don't have a husband or partner, I was talking more of doing it personally.
Me - Oh!!! Well that's fine you go and enjoy yourself....
I'm not sure of the rest of my reply as I ended the call but I did manage to contain my giggles until after I'd hung up the phone.
********************
Okay off to finish the 2 one hour presentations I have to present on Friday (my day off). At least, I have child care sorted this time and the Boo fiasco from last year (see here) won't be repeated.

7 comments:
I love the conversation at the end. That's too cute. I'm proud of you for not giggling.
It WAS a little TMI...wondering why she felt the need to share. But it brought you a smile so I guess I'm glad she did : )
Hand washing in a medical setting seems so obvious.
Maybe the hospital can use soap with moisturizer so people don't have worry about dry hands. I don't know.....
*giggle giggle*
Betcha that took you for surprise!
Dina - I guess someone anonymous on the other end of the phone is a better person than any!
Hand washing in a medical setting may seem so obvious - but being that the WHO and the CDC are leading this charge, apparently it's not as obvious as it seems!
Melody - That one certainly did. I've had my fare share of interesting questions but this one is up there with the best :)
Well, she's a keen one !!?!
oh, ok - blog working again for me now. Too bad it wiped my GOOD comment, and left the crappy one :)
I heard someone call my name...
I had to giggle at the end of your post too. Heh! Can you come over here and give me lessons on toughening up my skin, please? I am too far the opposite :(
H&B - Certainly keen
Rhu - My skin is only that thick for work, and only because I have a whole state department as back up!
Post a Comment