Boo was breastfeeding her doll this morning. This is a regular occurence at our house when the dolls are the play items of choice. Boo
We did over 2 and half years. She got expressed milk for her cereal until she was well over 12 months, no formula passed her lips. I was happy and I was done. Boo wasn't quite done and to this day has breastfeeding envy!
Oops, I digressed.
Where was I? Oh yes, Boo was breastfeeding her baby, and she suddenly asked me "Aren't you going to tell me off for breastfeeding?"
"Of course not, why did you ask me that?"
"The kindy teachers always say no breastfeeding at kindy"
I was quite miffed at what to tell her. Personally I think its fantastic that she will pretend to breastfeed a doll rather than pick up the bottle to feed it. I refuse to tell her that she shouldn't breastfeed dolls in public/kindy.
Here we are pushing for breastfeeding to be socially acceptable, and here we have the message of breastfeeding being socially unacceptable aimed at small children (who are just playing innocently).
UPDATE On further discussion with Boo during the week on this topic. It seems the children have been asked not to breastfeed for a little while (???) because some of the other children were trying to breastfeed each other! Not really sure that not breastfeeding the dolls is the answer but I'm prepared to let it lie for now.

12 comments:
Oh wow.
That REALLY pisses me off.
It's sad that the teachers are giving her that message.
OMG I would have been mortified if someone in a position of power said something like that to my girls!
Could it just be fear and lack of education on the kindy's behalf? Could you talk to them?
Grrrrrrrrrrr
On a fingers crossed, hopeful, optimistic note... could it have been because she was lifting her top in order to breastfeed? Was it a cold day???
No... I guess not.
Then I'm back to Grrrrrrrrrrr.
This annoys me so much, but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me. I would be thinking about mentioning it to the kindy teachers. You're so right that people "talk" about it being socially acceptable, but their actions show that they still have this embarrassment/aversion to seeing it actually happen. Get over it, people! I have only just finished feeding Chiq and I fed Guerita till the age of two as well, so they both consider it just a normal everyday part of life - Guerita was even pretending to breastfeed Chiq the other day! (She wasn't having a bar of it. :) )
I was on parent roster last year when the teacher's parents bought their dog and new puppies in to show the kids. She was hesitant about letting the kids watch the dog feed the puppies, but I convinced her it was totally fine for them to see. :)
How sad ! It is a terrible message they are sending little girls (& boys).
My boys still BF and they BF the doll in the bath.
It is quite funny to watch.
I really want them to grow up knowing BF is normal and to support their partners to BF.
It's terrible. My girls got into trouble for breastfeeding their babies too but that was over 10 years ago. You would expect things to be a little different these days.
Arghhhh why for goodness sake. For so many kids its a reality at home anyway (either them or their siblings are breastfeeding).
Letting kids see BF as a *normal* part of life as they grow is what's going to make it more acceptable is just going to make it easier on the next generation.
wow - this needs a letter to the committee .... my boys both breast feed their dolls !! My first did boobies for 3.5 years and the second babe did 2.5years - and this meant tandom feeding ... and feeding while preggers ....
To think kindy would actively erode my efforts and your efforts and all pro breast feeding mums and our supporters is beyond belief .... just so wrong ...
We have a same sex couple at kindy - how would they like the kids playing mummy and mummy ... where does it end ....
good luck with this one le
I am sorry - we are allowed to play with dolls who excrete and this is so okay for kids to deal with but not breastfeeding?
Get over it, kindy teachers.
I fed 'Salina until I was sacked the day before her 2nd birthday - and was one of "those mothers" who breastfed in public.
Quite frankly, sometimes they go too far and sometimes they don't go far enough - but that is one where it should be a no-brainer for them.
They learn very young about the objectification of the breast as a sexual lure (the poor kids can't miss it) so it should be very acceptable for them to learn and understand the real reason for the melons!
I have updated the post with the reason for the kindy stance.
Dina - I was pissed off too!
Al - Yep mortified sums up my thoughts too
Fe - Optimism was my first line of questioning :)
Guera - Glad you were able to convince your kindy teacher. I have spent the week reassuring Boo that breastfeeding IS socially acceptable
Trish - Gold Star award to you :) I am so impressed that you are still breastfeeding twins.
Tiff - You would definately expect that things would have changed
Amanda - Here, here!
Le - Another gold star award. 3.5 years and pregnant and tandem feeding is awesome :)
Jeanie - I too was one of "those mothers"
Well. Why didn't they tell the children to limit breastfeeding to their dolls?
I'm sure it was only a minority (or perhaps even a one off) child trying to bf another child... and I don't understand why this was such a problem. Making a big hoo-haw out of it will cause more of an issue with the kids than just ignoring it and knowing that they'll grow out of it.
I know my boys did some wierd things when they were of pre-school age. One of Boo's friends put a little flag in Boo's butt and he ran around with it until it dropped out!!! We parents tried not to show our amusement... and later I quietly told Boo that it was dangerous to put objects in any part of his body... ears, mouth, nose, bum. But I didn't want it to be a big deal... or to make him feel ashamed.
So... I still think the teachers did the wrong thing. But we can't protect our children from others' opinions. We can only ensure that they know our own.
xoxox
As a teacher of young children, I am appalled and somewhat mystified why that would be said. I have never heard of such a squashing taking place in a school. I would be speaking with the headmaster and expressing my disproval, for sure.
Post a Comment