Saturday, July 5, 2008

Go Red For Women

A much admired colleague of mine passed away yesterday morning. Andrea was 47 years old and died peacefully in hospital. Andrea was a person that showed true committment to her profession as a midwife, and worked tirelessly in educating her colleagues and new midwives. Midwifery, and teaching were her life.

Andrea didn't look like someone who might have a heart attack, or someone who might have heart disease she was a fit, young, healthy looking woman making it all the harder to accept that it was a heart attack that took her away from us. However, it could happen to anyone. In fact the Heart Foundation say that a 40 year old woman has a 1 in 3 risk of developing heart disease in the future, and that heart disease kills 4 times more women than breast cancer (statistics, I wasn't aware of until this week and I actually work in Women's Health)!

The signs of heart attack in women are vastly different to those classical symptoms displayed by men. In fact, Andrea displayed classic syptoms for women and had numerous small attacks during the course of a week, culminating in a large heart attack in hospital. By this time however, she had extensive cardiac damage and the chance of survival was very slim. She lay in an induced coma and ventilated for a week before she died.

All week Andrea complained of a toothache and jaw pain and some pain in her right shoulder, she made an appointment at the dentist. On Thursday, the shoulder pain was also back pain and she looked unwell and was sent home from work. It was suggested she go to our emergency centre and get something for the pain before she left, but she didn't think it was that bad. Later that night she went to hospital.

I hope Andrea's death will educate many other people to be aware of heart disease in women and the symptoms, and be able to save the life of someone you know. This was a woman who worked in a hospital, yet no-one picked up that she may have been having small heart attacks, so no-one could insist she see a doctor sooner.

Rest in Peace, Andrea. It is very fitting that you also leave us an education session in death

6 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my gosh. How truly shocking.
It sounds very fitting that Andrea continues to teach after she has left. I hope her lesson reaches many women.
How are you doing, Lani? Must be a shock for you, too?
((Hugs))

mountaingirlrae said...

Ditto to Alison's comments.

I know I ahve seen the ads on tv about the symptoms of a heart attack but never really considered that it could apply to me so didn't pay that much attention. I will certainly be more aware now. Complacency can be dangerous....

jeanie said...

Oh goodness - absolutely that is far too young.

MissyBoo said...

Alison - It certainly was a shock, and a sad week. The whole hospital seemed to be in a shell-shocked state.

MG - I don't think I've seen the ads but I certainly noticed a poster on a lift door on Friday night

Jeanie - You're right far too young. One of those events that remind you of your own mortality and to treasure every moment

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.A very tragic death of a woman in her prime.
I will remember this and share this information with my mother and SIL's too.
Thanks for sharing Lani.

MissyBoo said...

BA - Make sure you share that information :-)