Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Secret Blog Society

I went to a work dinner a couple of weeks ago, and the woman sitting opposite me is a blogger.

I know her from around work, and I have occasionally lurked on her blog (found because a few of you asked if I knew her), but I felt a bit uncomfortable. Voyeuristic if you like! Like I shouldn't be there without permission.

I didn't tell her I'd read her blog. I know there are bloggers that like to keep this information to themselves (away from family and IRL friends).

Maybe she's been here and recognised me too???

If it was a blog I commented on frequently, I probably would have said something.

What would you have done?

15 comments:

Melody said...

Same as you! I knew of a wife of one of Lyndon's old co-workers who blogged. I 'googled' and found her and follow, but never comment. I feel terrible that I have never 'outed' myself but I can't help but think that she does the same to me...

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Tell her in private ...or maybe she will know now

I made a mistake sending an email link for my blog (yesterday) to my SIL - now I hope she isn't savvy enough to see it and doesn't know how to navigate the achives.

Not that I have said too much but I don't want the family reading my private thoughts ...never mind I am happy for perfect strangers to do so.

jeanie said...

lol - I am pretty "out" about my blog, but I can understand your "do I/don't I" quandary.

I once outed my sister blog to a mutual relative on my blog - but at least she let on to my sister... She had never mentioned she read mine at all!

Fe said...

It depends on my relationship with her. It's a tough one, isn't it?!

I keep getting invited to be "friends" on Facebook by people who I know but am not friends with in real life. You know ... people I used to be friends with until they proved themselves to be not very good friends.

Is this kind of like that? I HATE ignoring their "be my friend request" thingy, but I do.

If you're not close friends... just keep not mentioning it, I would say. I don't know. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I don't thik I would have said anything? I need to know now, who is it? I want to lurk too.

Dina Roberts said...

I feel weird thinking that people I know in real life read my blog without telling me.

I think that's why I'm addicted to the Statcounter. It gives me a little bit of an idea.... It makes me feel like Yeah, maybe people are spying on me. But I'm spying right back ; )

I was once in a position like you though. I used to read my SIL and her husband's blog--kind of on a regular basis. We went to visit them and they started talking about stuff I had read in the blog. I kind of thought I should speak up and say "Yes, I read it in your blog." But I felt weird...like they'd think I was stalking them.

I think after that I made a rule that if I visited someone's blog that I know in real life, I have to comment. I don't think I follow that rule as much anymore though. Part of the reason is Statcounter. I figure they'll see my city and know it's me or someone in my family.

Lceel said...

I would have introduced myself. But then, that's just me. This is really 'to each his own'.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have said anything either, but I'm a bit chicken about that kind of thing. For some weird reason I feel a bit uncomfortable about people I know reading my blog. It's much easier to be open when I'm not worrying about people I know IRL reading.
I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about - I think maybe I was one of the people who asked you if you knew her??

Iris Flavia said...

I´d keep it to myself, too. It´d be double-weird, so to say, since it´s in English, too.
Even if it was in German, I wouldn´t like my colleagues to know too much/unfiltered details of my life.

Stupid, I know. Or is it?

MissyBoo said...

Melody - I would 'out' myself if it was more than just a colleague, and someone I knew!

Trish - I don't even lurk there because it makes me uncomfortable, and I don't know her well enough to tell her in private.

I know quite a few of us keep our blogs a bit quiet fom family and close friends!

Jeanie - You wouldn't 'out' your sister would you??? lol

Fe - A work acquaintance only. I'll keep my mouth shut!

Tiff - I'll email you! ;-)

Dina - I lurked there a couple of times only, but there were a couple of things she talked about that I had read on her blog and felt like saying "Yes, I read that on your blog"

Lou - I couldn't just tell her. If I'd known her better... Maybe???

Guera - Yes, you know who I'm talking about :-)

Iris - I think its the colleague rather than friend thing that had me uncomfortable!

jeanie said...

Outed her as a blogger, nothing more sinister!!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Lani - if you are telling I 'd like to know too , you have me interested.

WE can lurk for you ;)

LBA said...

Same as you. Well .. then, maybe if i'd had a drinkie or two ?! :p

Different if you commented.
I ran into a blogger last week, and stopped her to out myself .. but she reads my blog and I hers, even if we are not 'into' each others blogs as 'serious' followers. It was nice.

But yeah, like most people here, I kind of like 'talking' to the 'anonymous' masses - I always feel a bit funny that my family read but don't comment/remain in the background .. what do they THINK ?!??! :)

MissyBoo said...

Jeanie - *Heehee* of course

Trish - I'll email you too!

H&B - I would probably out myself in different circumstances!

I know what you mean especially about the family lurkers... What do they think???

Le said...

well interesting - I figure once I've blogged it it is out there so ... I think I would say gday as everyone loves their readers .. don't we :) She might have been chuffed that you had stopped by :) le xoxo