Friday, October 24, 2008

Pre-Holiday Fun?

As much as I love holidays, the lead up often quashes my excitement. I work part-time (5 days a fortnight), though I am sure the rest of my team often forget this. I have loads of deadlines to meet each month, and often bring work home. I refuse to miss out on 3 hours of evening time with Boo by staying late (though if she's tired and grumpy, I might wish I had stayed at work longer)!

Needless to say, because I have holidays coming up, the same monthly deadlines need to be met, and no one will do it for me, I am supposed to be doing a few hours over the weekend. If I can stop procrastinating maybe I'll get something done???

I worked Monday with a migraine! Tuesday, I worked in a post migraine fugue (vomiting and nausea). All because I hate not meeting my deadlines, and I hate leaving loose ends... oh and what I don't do now, I need to do when I get back! And also because I am having a planned sick day this Tuesday!

I did a nice little six hour clinical shift in the neonatal intensive care last night, with the babies nearly ready for home, or for transfer to a non-tertiary hospital. So lots of cuddles, and bottle and tube feeds! What an easy nice way to earn some extra holiday funds!

Okay, the rest of the week has been doing the things, I should have and could have done earlier, but I was waiting for the Australian dollar to go up again (or the US dollar to drop). Arrange a hotel for when we arrive (3am just isn't fair on our friends with children and dogs), and arrange car hire (because thats cheaper and easier than other options).

I've procured party frocks and shoes for the both of us, and I've got a to-do list in my head (maybe that should go on paper).

Just over a week to go. I still need a haircut and colour. I still need a wedding gift (or if you've spent a fortune traveling overseas are you exempt)? I need thank you gifts for those accomodating us (Australian wine duty free is always a winner). I need a birthday present for a 1st birthday we will also be attending. I need to pick-up all Boo's birthday stash, so I can pack it and hide it in the suitcase.

And on it goes... so better go and work on a couple of presentations and reports, I guess

11 comments:

Alison said...

OUCH! To working with a migraine!
I hope you're holiday preparations happen quickly and easily - Good luck getting everything done :-)

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Best of luck with getting it all done ...now back to work !
Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Anonymous said...

The Australian wine is an excellent, excellent idea and I must file that away as an excellent idea. (Did I say I thought it was an excellent idea? )

Hope your head feels better.

Anonymous said...

I take my hat off to you. I hope you get everything you need to do done and that your holiday is more than just recovery from working so darn hard...then you will need a holiday from your holiday... okay, I'll be quiet now.

MissyBoo said...

Alison - Yep, ouch was right!

Trish - Okay most of the work is done now, except of course what I can only do at work!

Rhubarb - Its always great to have non-Aussie friends! Oh but just realised we are staying in the flat of a Muslim doctor in Abu Dhabi... back to the drawing board!

Tiff - Luckily I have planned for that and have 4 days at home before I go back to work.

Lceel said...

I suppose the upside is that it's only 5 days a fortnight. What would it be like for you if your load doubled? Ouch.

Iris Flavia said...

Seesh! Do you get migraine often? I had it regularly but am free now, thanks to acupuncture. Dunno how it worked (neither did the doc), but it did! :-)
Wish you a great holiday!!! Hope you have a cam in the luggage?

MissyBoo said...

Lou - I thought maybe if I worked full time then I'd only have this much work???

Iris - Thankfully, I get a migraine, once (maybe twice) a year only. They are usually stress related.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Thinking of you for tomorrow (hugs)

jeanie said...

Oooh I feel the migraine - that is truly horrid.

Good luck on getting it all packed and relaxing on your jaunt.

MissyBoo said...

Trish - Thank you x

Jeanie - Packing??? Gosh I haven't even thought about that yet!!!!