Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"The Empty Chair" - title borrowed from mythreeringcircus.com

Tiff's post "The Empty Chair" has touched me and opened up some wounds that have been dormant for a little while. While I will never know what it is like to have a baby for 5 days, and then not to have him. I do know what it is like to lose a baby. Why do we say lose a baby? It sounds like I've just forgotten where I put him...

I think, I think about Kai everyday but sometimes I'm not sure. Something I read, something I hear, something I see tugs at that little spot in my heart that belongs to him. Mostly it doesn't ache as much as my recent toothache, sometimes its a twinge, and at times like now its almost like the toothache.

In the 'new' house there are fewer of the reminders.

There is not the bedroom Kai would have had.

There is not the breakfast bar Kai and I would have had our breakfast and lunch at (that Boo and I never did).

There is not a walk in robe where I can see his memory box sitting on the top shelf each night (though I know its just inside the door and can tell you every item in there).

There is not the empty space in the garden where Kai's rosebush died. It got sick when my aunty got sick, and it died when she died. She spent lots of time cuddling and holding Kai when he was born and she had been just diagnosed with cancer. It seemed like a sign that I didn't really need the rosebush, as there would always be yellow roses somewhere.

I still miss Kai, and I grieve all the lost hopes and plans I had for him. But if there had been no Kai, there would be no Boo. And on the convex of that, if there was Kai, there would be no Boo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biggest of hugs to you.
I'm so sorry.
Everything you write is so true. Sometimes the pain is dull, sometimes it is barely a whisper on the wind and sometimes it is so acute that you don't think you can move.

What is true for you is also true for us. If William were here, there would most certainly be no Ivy or Noah but without him they would not be in our lives either.

Kai will be in my heart with Will now. Thank you for sharing him.

Alison said...

Oh Lani.
Big hugs to you and Boo.
And yes, thank you for sharing Kai.

jeanie said...

Hugs to you Lani. I remember your journey with Kai and wish I had the words to make it better - but then, what is better? Grief is grief is grief is its own journey, not as joyous as joy, not as wonderful but still as valid and worthy of acknowledging.

Iris Flavia said...

So, so sorry to hear... I have no words...

MissyBoo said...

Tiff - Thanks for the hugs.

Don't be sorry, your post about William's absence was beautiful. It really surmised all the ways he is missing from your lives, and how Kai is missing from my life. My heart ached for both of us.

Big Hugs to you

Alison - Thank you

Jeanie - And what a journey Kai and I took you on, sometimes it feels like yesterday and other times it seems so long ago (almost like a dream)

Iris - No words required

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I was touched in the same way by Tiff's post, William and the missing chair theme ...
"I still miss Kai, and I grieve all the lost hopes and plans I had for him. But if there had been no Kai, there would be no Boo. And on the convex of that, if there was Kai, there would be no Boo" my thought s too ...about S & J - and that I find the hardest to comprehend.
Hugs ... a very beautiful bittersweet post.The pain is palable.

MissyBoo said...

BA - You're so right that is the hardest part to comprehend. If William, Charlotte and Kai had never existed neither would the children that have followed them, and thats too big a road to go down...